A pal despatched me an invitation not too long ago. It was for an occasion at an area brewery, held to rejoice the discharge of Taylor Swift’s new album, Midnights. I instructed her it sounded enjoyable, however that I have a tendency to consider Taylor Swift album releases as solitary experiences; that I’d already blocked off all the weekend for walks on my own across the lakes, listening on repeat. This was partially an exaggeration however principally the reality. And, for the document, I’m completely okay with this plan.
Her invite, and my subsequent response, received me pondering.
There’s one thing magical in regards to the first time (and the second, and the third) listening to an album from an artist you’re keen on right through—noticing the songs that pull you in most, some for apparent causes and others for these you possibly can’t fairly put your finger on but. In that spirit, I made a decision to dream up a lot of concepts for how one might expertise their first take heed to an album. The concepts I’m sharing in the present day can, in fact, apply to any album of your selecting, from any artist who significantly resonates with you. In in the present day’s submit, for the sake of timeliness, we’re discussing Taylor Swift’s Midnights album.
There’s one thing magical in regards to the first time (and the second, and the third) listening to an album from an artist you’re keen on right through—noticing the songs that pull you in most, some for apparent causes and others for these you possibly can’t fairly put your finger on but.
Given its very premise—”A set of music written in the midst of the evening, a journey by means of terrors and candy goals”—this album specifically appears promised to be a doozy of the emotional selection. This, in my private opinion, makes it a ripe alternative to get pleasure from your first pay attention with much more intention—in no matter approach speaks to you most.
Listed here are nineteen methods to expertise Taylor Swift’s Midnights album (which drops tonight at, nicely, midnight):
- Whereas strolling round a lake (Ideally a considerably populated one since you can be sporting headphones and need to really feel protected!)
- Whereas strolling subsequent to an ocean
- Whereas having fun with the presence of any open physique of water, actually
- Whereas driving alongside autumn-hued, tree-lined roads
- Whereas dancing in your kitchen, alone or in any other case
- Whereas swaying in a hammock beneath an open sky
- Saddled as much as a bar with a glass of wine (or your beverage of selection), within the consolation of crowded solitude
- Together with your headphones on when you wash the dishes, together with your children frolicking within the background (as a result of not all listens can be free from interruption!)
- Throughout pockets of a principally uneventful workday
- Whereas sitting in your patio, or your balcony, or your porch, or your deck (and so forth), searching on the world past
- At a listening occasion, surrounded by pals and/or strangers, with the music on full blast
- On an airplane (ought to you could have plans to be on an airplane), with minimal distractions to drag your consideration away
- Whereas taking a shower or whereas having a shower
- Whereas watching the dawn
- Or, maybe, whereas watching the sundown
- Whereas baking cookies or whereas baking really something (this feels acceptable, sure?)
- From a human-sized indent in a big pile of leaves in your yard or a close-by park
- One tune at a time, as time permits, over the course of every week or weeks
- On the very stroke of midnight, tucked comfortably into your mattress, till you drift off to sleep
What’s your individual private listening technique of selection?