Because the Russia-Ukraine conflict enters its 207th day, we check out the principle developments.
Right here is the state of affairs because it stands on Sunday, September 18.
- Ukraine’s counteroffensive has superior farther into the partly recaptured northeast as stress mounted on Russian forces.
- Ukraine has continued an offensive to retake territory within the south, the place it hopes to lure 1000’s of Russian troops reduce off from provides on the Dnipro River’s west financial institution and retake Kherson, the one huge Ukrainian metropolis Russia took in its entirety for the reason that begin of the invasion.
- Russian forces have elevated their concentrating on of civilian infrastructure in “a transfer to undermine the morale of the Ukrainian authorities and other people … even the place it in all probability perceives no fast navy impact,” the UK’s defence ministry said in a short.
- Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated in his nighttime speech: “Torture was a widespread apply within the occupied territory. That’s what the Nazis did. That’s what [the Russians] do.”
- Russian President Vladimir Putin pledged to remain the course in his marketing campaign towards Ukraine, warning of a “extra severe” navy response if counterattacks proceed.
- One of many 4 principal energy traces on the Russian-held Zaporizhzhia nuclear energy plant was repaired and is supplying electrical energy from the Ukrainian grid two weeks after it went down.
- Russia’s defence ministry accused Kyiv of shelling close to the Zaporizhzhia plant, which Ukraine denied. The ministry stated its forces launched assaults on Ukrainian positions in a number of components of the nation.
- Each side reported accidents in preventing in Donetsk in jap Ukraine.
- Russian safety forces fired on a gang of armed criminals within the centre of the occupied Ukrainian metropolis of Kherson and “neutralised” them, Tass information company reported.
- Oleksandr Shapoval, a number one Ukrainian ballet dancer who died final week preventing on the entrance line, was honoured with a memorial service on the Nationwide Opera of Ukraine.
- US President Joe Biden warned Russian President Vladimir Putin to not use tactical nuclear or chemical weapons within the wake of setbacks in Ukraine. “Don’t. Don’t. Don’t. It might change the face of conflict not like something since World Battle II,” he stated on 60 Minutes in a clip launched by American broadcaster CBS.
- Requested about Biden’s feedback, RIA Novosti quoted Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov as saying: “Learn [Russia’s nuclear] doctrine. Every thing is written there.”
- Underneath the doctrine, nuclear weapons can be utilized after “an aggression towards Russia or its ally with using mass destruction weapons”, or “when the very existence of the state is below risk”.
- Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and a world meals disaster aggravated by the conflict would be the focus of world leaders once they convene for the United Nations Normal Meeting this week, a gathering that’s unlikely to yield any progress in the direction of ending the battle.