Have you ever ever admired somebody a lot from afar that you just started considering of them as a sort of mentor, even when they didn’t realize it? Journal editor Pilar Guzmán positively checks that field for me. For years, I’ve watched her create lovely work as editor-in-chief of Cookie, Martha Stewart Dwelling, and Conde Nast Traveler. And now she and her husband Chris Mitchell have written a beautiful ebook collectively — Patina Modern — about dwelling decor and renovation. Right here, Pilar and Chris share eight issues they love…
1. Ritual: When children enter adolescence, you lose a few of the physicality of motherhood. Snuggles flip into again scratches, for instance. That mentioned, my boys and I at all times appear to have an intimacy within the kitchen. We’ve got a handful of meals traditions — lasagna, gnocchi, hen pot pies — that contain shoulder-to-shoulder prep over a pleasant time frame. I’m additionally in awe of how a lot they study on social media, they usually’re a lot extra prepared to take culinary dangers. It’s a beautiful position reversal.
2. Art work: Once we moved to Brooklyn, we hung Enzo Mari’s apple and pear prints within the kitchen. We love their graphic punch, which is such a superb counterpoint to the Brooklyn brownstone Victoriana curlicue moldings. Here’s a photo of them in our apartment.
3. Ingredient: I at all times have anchovy paste as a result of it’s a wonderful taste bomb. It’s higher than salt! I’ll use it in a tomato sauce or any Italian or Mediterranean or North African or Center Japanese dish. Additionally as a fast Caesar cheat, if I’m making a salad and don’t wish to undergo the entire thing — it’s actually a squirt of anchovy paste, an egg, and olive oil — or simply blended right into a French dressing.
4. Resort: Chris and I’ve gone for a lot of, a few years to Hotel Amuleto in Mexico. You possibly can’t carry children and we go for 3 days. It’s not tremendous simple to get to, nevertheless it’s this tiny little jewel — a handful of rooms, improbable meals, a stunning employees that you just get to know. You’re excessive up overlooking the ocean, and the rooms are open air – it’s simply the correct quantity of luxurious. We learn a ebook a day and tan like youngsters.
5. Music: Staralfur by Sigur Rós. I don’t know a single phrase (it’s in Icelandic) and but it’s essentially the most transferring track I’ve ever heard. Hearken to this observe whenever you wish to really feel transported.
6. Perfume: D.S. & Durga Burning Barbershop. David, the founder, informed me they had been going for a literal burned-down barber store, the place the stringent tonic they rub in your face after a shave mixes with a smokiness. I really like a backstory, and I really like carrying perfume.
7. Ikea discover: We’ve got dozens of their red-and-white tea towel, sufficient for our lifetime. We use them for every little thing — as dishrags, dinner napkins and clear up.
8. Film: All the President’s Men made me fall in love with journalism and understand how a lot suspense and motion a film can pack with none weapons or automotive chases.
Thanks a lot, Pilar and Chris! We’re so enthusiastic about your book.
P.S. An artwork curator’s 8 favourite issues, and a dressmaker’s 8 favourite issues.
(Graphic format by Erin Jang.)